Wednesday, August 27, 2008

House Updates (No Pictures)

We've been making all kinds of updates! Unfortunately I haven't posted the pictures like I said I would. I moved them to my desktop, and it doesn't have internet access in the garage. Thankfully, however, we're no longer sleeping in the garage. So that's a plus.

What we've done:
  • Amanda's family helped sand the hardwood floors, and the floors have received the last (3rd) coat of polyurethane.
  • Mom/Chip helped us paint the master bedroom walls/ceiling.
  • We recently bought new window treatments for the master bedroom (though they haven't arrived yet).
  • I cut out holes in the walls, ran wires, installed boxes, and installed outlets in the house for cable/internet. Andy (Amanda's dad) helped me hang a patch panel on the basement wall. He also helped me mount a box on the outer wall of the house that has two coax lines coming in (one for the antenna on the roof, and one is left open for future cable/satellite).
  • Amanda and her family painted the living room ceiling/walls.
  • Almost all of the upstairs outlets (except in the kitchen) have been replaced. When we bought the house none of them were grounded so we updated each one to 3-prong outlets, adding ground wires along the way.
  • Almost all of the upstairs light switches (except in the kitchen) have been replaced. No more stupid dimmer switch - woohoo!
  • The nasty ceiling tiles in the basement were taken down.
  • Some of the wood paneling in the basement was removed.
  • New washer in the basement.
  • Amanda painted the mailbox, front light, and exterior door handles.
  • Our friend Nick is an arborist, and trimmed the Maple tree in the front yard. It was overpowering the house. He also tackled some of the bushes around the house.
  • Almost all of the nasty weeds (and apparently one nice vine...) have been removed outside.
  • The wasps, and yellow jackets have successfully been 'removed' from the shed, and from the side of the house (by the kitchen).

1 comment:

Bryon said...

That's awesome you guys are doing so much stuff to your new house yourselves! I'm sure it's a lot of work, but very rewarding. I loved doing little things to my last house, which wasn't even mine. Let me know if I can help!